NMCRS Gold Star Scholarship Programs
The Gold Star Scholarship Program provides education scholarships of $500 to $2500 per academic year to pay for tuition, books, fees, room, and board.
To qualify, you must be:
- A child (under age 23) of a Sailor or Marine who died while serving on active duty or after retirement
- An unremarried spouse of a Navy or Marine Corps service member who died as a result of the attack on the USS STARK or the Pentagon, or during service in Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF), Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF), or Operation New Dawn (OND)
You must also have a demonstrated financial need for assistance. This scholarship is for full-time students, enrolled for the entire academic year, and pursuing a first undergraduate degree at a qualifying school. Applicants must also maintain 2.0 or better GPA on a 4.0 grade scale.
See the application form (PDF) for complete eligibility requirements and program details.
Applying for this scholarship
Submit your application and the required documents beween November 1 and May 1. You’ll need these documents:
- Completed application form (PDF)
- Official high school or current college transcript
- Copy of the DD 1300 or a death certificate
- Student Aid Report (SAR) from completed FAFSA
Full instructions for applying are included on the application form (PDF).
Once you submit all the required documents, we’ll let you know whether you’re eligible for the scholarship. If you’re awarded the scholarship, we’ll send an award letter to the email address you list on your application.
If you receive a scholarship, the funds will be sent directly to your school to cover the upcoming school year. You’ll need to reapply for each academic year.