Spouse Tuition Aid Loan Program (STAP)


Spouses who reside with an active duty Sailor or Marine stationed outside the 50 United States can apply for an interest-free loan. Loans can be up to $3000 per 12-month period, and they can be used to pay for tuition, books, and fees.

To qualify, you must:

  • Be a spouse of an active duty Navy or Marine Corps service member, residing with them outside of the 50 United States
  • Be a part-time or full-time undergraduate or graduate student
  • Be enrolled at an institution accredited by a regional/national accrediting agency recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education

Applying for this loan

This loan is handled by NMCRS offices outside of the 50 United States. To get more information and apply, make an appointment with your nearest overseas NMCRS office

Loan repayment

If you are awarded a loan, you’ll start repaying it as soon as it’s disbursed. Payments are made through military allotment. You will only pay the original amount, since this is an interest-free loan.

Each loan covers just one school year. To receive a Spouse Tuition Aid loan in the future, you’ll need to reapply for each academic year.


Stay Informed