Vice Admiral E. P. Travers Loan Program
The Vice Admiral E.P. Travers Loan Program provides an interest-free loan for education expenses. Loans range from $500 to $3000 per academic year. The funds can be used for tuition, books, fees, room, and board.
To qualify, you must be:
- The child of an active duty or retired Sailor or Marine (includes reservists while serving on active duty over 90 days)
- The spouse of an active duty or retired Sailor or Marine
To qualify, you must have a demonstrated financial need for assistance. Also, you must be a full-time student, enrolled for the entire academic year, and pursuing your first undergraduate degree at a qualifying school. Applicants must also maintain 2.0 or better GPA on a 4.0 grade scale.
See the application form (PDF) for complete eligibility requirements and program details.
Applying for this loan
Submit your application and the required documents between November 1 and May 1. You’ll need these documents:
- Completed application form (PDF)
- Official high school or current college transcript
- Certificate of Service Letter (active service member)
- Copy of DD 214 (retired service member)
- Student Aid Report (SAR) from completed FAFSA
Full instructions for applying are included on the application form (PDF).
Once you submit all the required documents, we’ll let you know whether you’re eligible for the loan in early July. If you’re awarded the loan, we’ll send a loan award letter to the email address you list on your application.
If you receive a loan, the loan funds will be sent directly to your school. Within 24 months of the loan disbursal, you’ll need to repay the loan through military allotments. You will only pay the original amount, since this is an interest-free loan.
Each loan covers just one school year. You’ll need to reapply for each academic year.